Blogging in itself (the actual writing) is the difficult part. When I first heard about blogging I was excited because I always have something to say on many subjects! If we really think about it, we all blog daily if we are a part of any social media platforms.
Blogging is a way of sharing your ideas, thoughts, and feelings on any subject with the rest of the world. Cool, right? It seems like it should be cut and dry: you blog, people read…not that simple. To write in the first place we need ideas. Those ideas need to be captivating enough to bring in and keep an audience interested.
Those of you who have large social followings are on the right track to obtaining a regular audience of loyal readers. Much of what a blogger does is connected with some sort of interaction or exchange of information. It is important to engage your audience so they will have good reason to return. Everything online starts with a website!
What steps are necessary to create your own blog?
- You need an idea or a niche to build your blog around. The ‘niche’ is the blog’s subject matter. For instance, my niche is ‘work from home’.
- Choose a domain name. Choosing a domain (your website’s address) is not as simple as it sounds. Often names you choose may have already been chosen by previous users. Your domain should be associated with the content (information) on your website.
- Purchasing your domain. Usually a domain purchase is handled yearly, so you would only pay for it once per year, unless you chose a different renewal option. It is also not a necessity to purchase your domain, I advise it because being a FREE member of any site keeps you from the perks of ownership. As a FREE domain holder you have no real power: a paid member can come along and take your domain name because you were using it FREE! Just an FYI! ??
- Choosing a host. A host is the company that holds or contains your website. Go-Daddy is a popular company that handles website hosting and domain purchasing. I’m cheap, so I chose Namecheap to purchase my domain for the year….it was under $15.
- Build your site. The creation of your website is the easiest part to complete. I am not technical at all and I thought it was easy, so believe me, that says bunches! All you need is to choose a design you like, and you can start adding content.
Let’s go over the steps together!
Step One & Two
We need to think of a name for your blog……we will go with
happyhomes.com (interior design/decorating). At this point you
would be inside the site where you’ve chosen to purchase your
Wealthy Affiliate –You get a FREE website here. (Not the same as a
Namecheap –You can purchase your domain and they handle hosting.
Go Daddy –You can purchase your domain and have your site hosted
Wix –Build a FREE website.
Once you begin your search for the domain name you want, you will
see many results come up, (giving you choices) sometimes the results
will say that your chosen domain is already taken. What that means
is a customer ‘paid’ for the domain which makes it unavailable. If you
choose a domain and do not purchase and someone searches, they can
take your address! Just Sayin’….it’s worth it to own your domain!
I found an image to show you what a possible search will look like once
you enter a Name;
And once you click search the site will tell you whether the name is
available or you may have to keep choosing until you find one that
You’ve now purchased your domain in the niche you plan to blog
about: Interior Design & Interior Decorating. Here you will have the
choice to purchase all domain names associated with your site name.
For example, your site is happyhomes.com, so you may want to also
purchase happyhomes.org, happyhomes.xyz, etc,. People searching
these antonyms would still be directed to your website.
I want to reiterate that a domain purchase is not a necessity just a
strong recommendation. You would not want to gather an audience
for a blog that will disappear….I’m frugal too..lol there are cheap
methods to have a website.
It is now time to decide which company you will choose to host
your website. Hosting is important because if the host has issues,
that can cause down times and loss of business to website
administrators/owners. The sites I recommended are fairly popular
and have stable reputations online.
I will recommend the same tool I used to create my website to
create yours! I think it is a great tool to use because I have no
technical skill and figured out how to build my site with the step-
by-step instructions. Just awesome! Try it, guys!
Of course social media is a FREE platform to share information also. Pages can be
searched on Google and that Is a plus. Use them all!
Once you enter your chosen domain name and click build it now, you will be taken to
your new website and it is time to start designing it to your liking! How cool is that?
In all of what, 30 seconds?
Concluding Thoughts: So, it is easy to create the physical blog, but a totally different story regarding content creation, SEO, regular traffic sources, and monetization. Stay Tuned! Also…..In the next couple of hours my new “Job Leads” page will be LIVE! New leads added weekly!